My first himmeli

I was thinking about the Finnish straw mobiles called himmeli yesterday and was wondering if it would be possible to make them using paper beads. So I made some beads last night (from the new Boden holiday catalog), tracked down a relatively straightforward tutorial, and gave it a shot. I’m really happy with the results and now my mind is buzzing with variations I could do using different sizes of beads and different color effects. I used dental floss instead of thread here, since it’s cheap and strong, holds a knot well, and has the additional, somewhat dubious, benefit of mintiness.

And here they are with our ridiculous kitchen light for scale. These are a perfect size for Christmas ornaments, which is what I wanted to make them for in the first place, but now that I have a general sense of how they come together, I want to experiment with building a larger mobile.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>