Knitting update

20140616-090411.jpgBefore I get further in my current spinning project, I wanted to pause and see what kind of fabric the yarn I’m making is producing. I made sample skeins of (from left to right) two plies of the Gotland fleece, one ply Gotland/one Gotland blended with mohair top, and one where both plies are Gotland and mohair and swatched them each on #9 needles. I went into this experiment fully expecting to love the one with the most mohair content the best, but it was actually my least favorite; it’s too heavy and dense and I think the colors got muddied. Both of the other swatches are really lovely though; it’s impossible to choose a favorite. I think I’ll probably spin singles of Gotland/mohair until the mohair runs out, ply it all with Gotland singles, and then ply whatever’s left of the Gotland with itself. It’s a decent-sized fleece; I may end up with a sweater’s worth of each.

While those projects are just barely in the planning stage, though, this cabled cardigan is in the home stretch. I just need to do the front bands, weave in the ends, and block it. And find buttons, but considering that I won’t be able to wear it for at least four months, there’s no real rush on that end.
20140617-081904.jpg
And, lastly, I am thrilled and honored to announced that my wedding dress won both the knit/crochet category and Best in Show at the Crafty Awards.

FO: Ombre tunic

Well, this is one of the nicest things I’ve ever knit.P1090118The yarn is from my ombre handspun project; the silver is silk/merino, the red is merino/alpaca, and the charcoal is merino/tencel. It was knit from the top down using the Alga pattern, though without the pleats.

The striping where the colors change is a little less obvious in person, though I can’t say I mind the effect. P1090121I don’t know that it’s going to get much wear this spring, but I know I’ll be happy to have it once it cools off again in the fall.

 

FO: Alpaca/silk tunic

 

I have some freelance projects coming up that will be pretty time-consuming (one knitting, one editing) and I’ve known for the last couple of weeks that I won’t have a huge amount of time for my own knitting projects in the next month or so. So I’ve been making a concerted effort to work on a couple of things whose finish lines were within reach.

I did manage to knock one out this week, the handspun alpaca/silk tunic.

It’s basically exactly what I was aiming for: an easy-to-wear, slightly oversized seed stitch tunic. I managed to block one of the sleeves a couple of inches longer than the other, which is a little annoying, but since they’re cuffed anyway, it’s not the end of the world. I can try to fix it the next time I wash it.

Here’s a close up of the fabric. Allover seed stitch isn’t the fastest or least annoying pattern to do, but damn, it looks fine.

I didn’t quite manage to finish my ombre sweater, but it’s close: another inch or so of stockinette, then some garter stitch to wind things up. I may sneak in some time on it in the next week or so; I’d hate to miss out on wearing it this winter.

20140306-212352.jpg